We have been hard at work building the search functionality (it is taking more time than anticipated and for this we apologize) and want to get you HIRED! Check out these tips for using Five Star Crew as your best GET HIRED tool!
- You have tickets. Licenses. Certificates. Make sure you upload them! Step 5/Uploads has space for your primary and secondary certificates, as well as a place to upload custom certificates. Why? These will be searchable!! You're an OOW and you want someone to find you in a search? You will be found with your license upload! Same thing all you Yachtmasters and Captains and Engineers out there!
- You have experience! List your yachting experience. Yup, it's a pain in the you-know-what to take the 5 minutes to do this... but did you know the size of vessel on which you have worked, will become searchable? HUGE! Use yacht size to your advantage!
- Your picture. THIS is your biggest asset! Make sure it's NOT a selfie! It's not a picture with a frame of Facebook around it. You are smiling (this is the hospitality industry - non-smilers are frowned-upon!!), you are confident, and you don't have a complex background behind you. The focus of the photo should be YOU! Make it clear, have no shadows, and a head & shoulder photo is standard. Clothing should be white and collared - epaulets if at all possible! It's not about a level of attractiveness, but of your personality that shines through (at least it should be..) Ask yourself, would you hire you?
- Career Objective: state clearly what you want and and why. Do not use "I" to start sentences if at all possible (it's possible). Be clear and omit the fact that you're a hard worker and you're keen. This is expected! Read it over - this is something a hiring Captain/Chief Stew/Chief Officer/Chief Engineer WILL read! Put some effort in, here. This section should match what you have on your resume. Examples:
"Currently searching for a Stewardess position on board a private or charter motor yacht. With 3 years of high-end hotel hospitality experience, including housekeeping and restaurant service, my goal is to take these skills to a new level where I can hone my abilities on board a yacht."
"Seeking a Deckhand position on a 45m+ motor yacht. With 2 seasons of experience, I am looking to grow my skill-set and to gain more water-sport experience. Expect an easy-going personality with a dedicated work ethic."
"Currently seeking a Chief Officer position on a 50m+ motor yacht. With 4 years of experience up to Bosun and temp 2nd Officer-level positions, I have ISM experience, a new Chief Mate license and large-tender day-trip experience where I was in charge of the day, up to 10 guests, other crew members, diving, fishing and the vessel used. Highly trained in first aid and diving (Medical Person in Charge + Divemaster), my goal is to learn under solid leadership and to expand my abilities to provide a fun, safe and memorable experience for owners and guests alike."
- Review your Profile page. Make it shine! Why? This page is what will appear in a search! This is designed to read like a resume. Make it comprehensive and complete and all that time you spent filling in information will pay off. Think marketing - market yourself. The better this page reads, the more likely you'll get a phone call...
We are still a little ways away from launching the new Hire Crew functionality... stay tuned and thank you for your patience. All the best this Med season (or where ever your travels may take you!)